BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #spaz48_tetyis-2 | 2020-02-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

(Update 1.01: Fixed a bug that caused an out of memory error with particles disabled. Thanks to @dw817 for finding it!)

So, here it is, my first ever fully completed cart. I have a real bad habit of starting lots of things and never finishing them, and this was destined to be just another one of those things. I started work on this about a month or two ago, and did most of the work back then. I decided I needed a bit of a break from my current project and thought, hey, why don't I go back and finish this?

I've learned a lot since then, and generally improved a bunch, so most of this code is a mess, and doesn't use things it really should like objects, but, everything functions well enough at least. It's super unoptimized though, mostly because I was under the assumption there was no CPU limitations in Pico-8, and going back to finish it up, I didn't really bother fixing that. The particle system is my own, written for the main cart I've been working on, but the background previously was a stolen tweetcart (the function was even called "stolentweetcart()") I was using as a placeholder. It was distracting anyway, so I replaced it with the particles and used them to make a few other things nicer as well.

The main goal here was to make it compliant to the 2009 Tetris guideline (a big document the Tetris company uses that says exactly how a Tetris game should be made) though I disregarded that going back to it, so it's halfway or so there. Also, SRS isn't implemented properly, it's good enough but it's not perfect, and the title is a typo I thought was funny so I rolled with it.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, hope you enjoy!

Controls:

• Z, X: Rotate
  • Z+X: Hold
  • Up: Hard drop
  • Down: Soft drop
  • Left, Right: Move
P#72731 2020-02-04 21:05 ( Edited 2020-02-06 09:22)

Cart #xenophobia-4 | 2020-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Updated build of this shooter game I've been working on. Pretty new to Pico and I'm still learning. :)

There are 3 levels, bosses, upgrades to your ship, and a special shot if you fill up the special bar.

There is some music, more tunes to come!

Enjoy!!!

P#72715 2020-02-04 07:50 ( Edited 2020-03-02 05:41)

Cart #pico_sector-3 | 2020-02-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi! I just started using Pico 8 recently (only used Gamemaker before) and re-made one of my games with some changes. Pico 8 is really cool and I'm learning a lot. Hope you like my little game!

P#72697 2020-02-03 23:16 ( Edited 2020-02-03 23:34)

Hi there, I installed pico 8 on my raspberry pi 3 and it seems to be
working okay, except that when I go to play a cart I get an "can't
connect to BBS" error. I'm connected to the internet and it updates
the cart lists. It's only when j try to play the games. I used this
setup video. https://youtu.be/DrC_n_Y18aM .Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks for any help!
Adam

P#72670 2020-02-03 20:14

I have always had difficulty with hardware acceleration on my computer. Just last night my computer fritzed out as I was working in Pico-8. Fortunately I had saved my work.

What I would like to know is, is there a way to run Pico-8 IDE without using hardware acceleration ?

Now I tried this argument in running it:

-software_blit n         use software blitting mode off (0) or on (1)

Which is listed in the Pico-8 HELP file but it does not seem to make a difference one way or another that it is on.

I'm using SPEEDFAN to monitor my GPU and it's up to 70 when running Pico-8 which according to its reading is, "hot."

Now I don't have this problem with other applications I'm using as I've managed to configure them all for software acceleration.

Windows 10 Home.
OS Build 17763.805
AMD Ryzen 3 2300X Quad-Core Processor
3.50 GHz
64-bit operating system, X64-based processor

Any ideas on how to configure Pico-8 for software acceleration only ?

P#72667 2020-02-03 19:43 ( Edited 2020-02-03 20:05)

Cart #cwwcggj2020-0 | 2020-02-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Created for GGJ 2020

Your cat is destroying everything in your house. You must repair the destroyed items, or you will be left with nothing.

An endless runner.

To repair object press UP, FWD, or DOWN on the arrow keys depending on where the broken item is. Miss three items and it's GAME OVER.

--

Team

Justin Acker - Programming, Sounds, Sage advice

Chris Bonilla - Programming, Debug, Cleanup crew

Corinne Cohen - Art, Animation, Sounding board

Christina Goefron - Programming, Backgrounds, Sympathetic noises

Veronica Grijalva - Art, Animation, Craft Services

Nougat the Cat, PhD - Catting, Inspiration, Party healer

P#72647 2020-02-03 02:57 ( Edited 2020-02-03 05:28)

Cart #gramjam-19 | 2020-02-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made for Global Game Jam 2020
https://globalgamejam.org/2020/games/global-jam-game-7

Repair your Grans busted old Jam business.

Left and Right move from screen to screen
Up and Down move through menus on a screen
X selects and sells
Z harvests and cooks

P#72635 2020-02-02 22:43 ( Edited 2020-02-04 14:55)

Cart #hammerteam-0 | 2020-02-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#72634 2020-02-02 22:27 ( Edited 2020-02-03 01:01)

Cart #kemotodiba-0 | 2020-02-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple boids implementation in pico 8 based on http://www.vergenet.net/~conrad/boids/pseudocode.html
Comes with a menu which allows you to change some parameters and toggle the different flocking rules to see how each one affects the simulation

Controls:
X - Resets the flock
Z - Opens the menu
Arrow Keys(Menu Closed) - Move the flocking target
Arrow Keys(Menu Open) - Navigate the menus

P#72630 2020-02-02 22:03

Good HOT afternoon ! It's a HOT day here at Applecart. Sure the carts are great but MAN is it hot outside for February ! They could open up that swimming pool today and I would so be there.

To see what's been done in Applecart so far, go HERE:

https://lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=36598

Alright we're going to slow things down a bit for this next cart. Instead of having everything all done in one week we're going to spread tasks out a bit. For this particular cart in this order.

1. Sprites and game appearance (due now, I finished mine all in just an hour)
  2. Movement of sprites and player (due 02-09-20)
  3. Menus and scoring (etc)
  4. Sound
  5. Cleanup and completion

The game is called PENSATE and was not just for Apple but other early computers. And you can find more information about HERE:

https://lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=36709

Here are the sprites and images I have put together so far for my version of this Applecart. Yours may be quite different:

So with this complete, you've still got time to doodle your own sprites as well as work out the movement for them.

If you check the original you will see that they do not move smoothly but jump in grid amounts, so movement should not be that difficult to program as they just jump from one quadrant to the next. You can do smooth movement if you want, not saying you can't.

That's all for today. Not too much to work on. Feel free to look over the initial post stating the rules and where to how for of it.

With that, here's hoping you will join in and I will see you next week with your results !

P#72625 2020-02-02 21:45 ( Edited 2020-02-02 21:46)

Cart #repear-1 | 2020-02-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #repear-0 | 2020-02-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This game was created as during Global Game Jam 2000. The theme was "repair".

The player's characters are the green Pear and the golden Repear. The Pear has 8 way movement and can shoot with 'x' button. The Pear always shoots toward the Repaer. The Repear is engaged with the 'y' button. While engaged, the Repear repairs the pear and can be moved. The Repear does not shoot, but can be moved to avoid being hit by the ememies. The enemies are the red Vampears and the Pearwolves. The Vampears target the Pear and the Pearwolfs target the Repear. The health bars are at the top the of screen. The top one is the Pear, the bottom one is the Repear and they are color to match. If the Repear is damaged or destroyed, run over a pickup to restore some of it's heath. Both the Pear and the Repear can collect the health pickup.

The game is over when Pear's health reaches zero.

P#72627 2020-02-02 21:21 ( Edited 2020-02-14 01:32)

Cart #goblin_hunter_dj_v2-0 | 2020-11-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Edit 11-6-20: adding version of game with enhancments made earlier this year.

my entry for global game jam 2020

GOBLIN HUNTER MUST MAKE THE GOBLINS RAGE

P#72623 2020-02-02 20:59 ( Edited 2020-11-06 21:10)

WORK IN PROGRESS. We weren't able to get the game to a playable state before the end of Global Game Jam, but we'll try to follow up and finish it soon. Not much to see until then.

You've awoken on a mysterious malfunctioning spaceship. With the help of your glitchy Companion Device, you must repair the ship before it explodes.

NOTE: Trek Support is best enjoyed with a partner running their own copy of the game. For an extra challenge, see if you can win without looking at each other's screens!

Cart #treksupport-2 | 2020-02-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Trek Support is a work in progress for Global Game Jam 2020, with the theme of Repair.

Team members: Ryan Saul, Andrew Grewell, and Pete Soloway

P#72622 2020-02-02 20:00 ( Edited 2020-02-03 03:20)

Here is a platformer I have been working on for the past few months

Cart #armadillo-2 | 2020-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controlls

-Arrows to move

-X Jump

-Z switch between ball and normal form

Please leave some feedback and share it around

my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Wtx3l6CVbvIr5flwSDB0w?view_as=subscriber

much thanks to my mate Maahlie for his music
go follow him on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/maahlie

P#72615 2020-02-02 18:28 ( Edited 2020-02-24 11:20)

Cart #bobthebuilder-0 | 2020-02-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first Pico-8 game starting Bob the Builder for the 2020 global game jam (based on the theme 'repair'). In this game, you control Bob the Builder and help him complete his TODO list.

Controls:
Arrow keys = move
Z = 'use' (interact with things)

P#72611 2020-02-02 17:43

When drawing in the sprite editor, left click draws and right click picks up the color under the cursor (like the eye dropper in other image editing tools).
When using the bucket fill tool, left click fills and right click... fills. It would be convenient and consistent if right click was still an eye dropper in this scenario.

P#72594 2020-02-02 02:58

Cart #buggy_paddly-1 | 2020-02-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi, yesterday I started playing around with pico-8 and implemented the paddly game from the first pico-8 zine, with some modifications, but right now for some reason the sound that should play when you lose the ball (sfx(3)) plays a few seconds after the ball has reset position. Can someone help me out?

JWinslow23 helped me in Discord, now the sound is working the way it should, just need to get better collision detection

P#72590 2020-02-02 01:07 ( Edited 2020-02-02 07:02)

Cart #jokejokebot-8 | 2020-02-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Jokebot 8000 is a sophisticated machine capable of replacing humankind's top comedians. Enjoy!

P#72589 2020-02-02 00:13 ( Edited 2020-02-04 23:50)

Sunday is rapidly coming up. I had one of my applecartians ? Not sure how you would word that. Anyways I was approached by him and he stated that while I might be able to crank out an Applecart every Sunday, others like him may not be able to and instead would like to do it in easier stages.

So - okay. I understand. Maybe I've been going at it too fast.

First off the cart we are working on now is called, Pensate, it is a turn-based puzzle game originally for the Apple ][ and later ported to many other computer platforms including the Atari.

It is interesting in that in higher levels you are expected to make two moves at a time while your opponents also make two moves making the thinking a lot trickier to solve the puzzle.

And the puzzle is simply to move your piece from the bottom to the top which completes the level.

(Press CTRL + on the number keypad to zoom, CTRL 0 (zero) to return to normal view size)
http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/files/Pensate_Penguin%20Software.pdf

(longer video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ONAx2QA68

As you can see the original game itself is quite complex with some opponents that move left every time you move up and right every time you move down.

Instead I thought it would be more interesting for each level to have a fixed number of opponents placed randomly, and they are simple ones, 4-arrows, each of which travel in the direction they are facing and wrap-around the other side of the screen.

If one collides into another then the one that collided immediately turns 180 degrees around and that is it for their single move. Of course if any opponent runs into the player, then the level ends and the player must try that level again with newly randomly placed enemies.

So to break this down into stages that are byte-size :) here are four sets.

1. Sprites and game appearance (due tomorrow, I finished mine all in just an hour)
  2. Movement of sprites (due 02-09-20)
  3. Menus and scoring (etc)
  4. Sound
  5. Cleanup and completion

So instead of 1-week I'll break this cart down to 5-weeks. Tomorrow I will show stage one completion on my part and you can compare with me what you've done, and then prepare next week for stage 2, movement of sprites. If you fall behind that's fine. Let me know what you need help with, I'll see if I can assist.

Hope to see you there !

P#72575 2020-02-01 19:54 ( Edited 2020-02-01 23:30)

Cart #gimme_drippies-2 | 2020-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #gimme_drippies-1 | 2020-02-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #gimme_drippies-0 | 2020-02-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A little platformer about my cat Freya who loves to drink water ("drippies") straight from the bathroom faucet, and will cry for hours until I give them to her.

This is the first thing I've ever made in PICO-8. I'm very inexperienced and mostly followed along with a youtube tutorial, but I'm very excited about the result.

I'd love to expand this into a proper little platformer in the future.

P#72572 2020-02-01 19:00 ( Edited 2020-02-05 06:37)
View Older Posts